Saturday, February 22, 2014

There is not a Social Network for that nor Should there be

On occasion, I get a certain kind of email from Linked In. The email asks me to join Linked In because someone has asked to connect to me. That someone is always a person that I have hired to perform some service such as a broker.

Apparently, I am not alone in this particular style of engagement.

What happened? I have a linked in account thank you very much but it's not tied to the email address that I shared with the inviter. Yes, I have multiple email accounts. 

I am not going to create a Linked In account for every email address that I have and I actually cannot accept your invite even if I wanted to nor do I know the email address that you used to create your Linked In account.

Is linked in an appropriate social network for this scenario? I don't think so. You provided a service for me so that made me your client. In my humble opinion, Linked In is more for professional peers than for professional services consultants connecting to their customers. If you want to reach me, then use the email address that I already gave you.

No comments: